You are invited to a planning meeting to discuss and initiate grassroots-oriented fundraising in NY/NJ for our brothers and sisters in Pakistan
When: 6:00-8:00pm, Friday, August 27
Where: Brecht Forum
Draft Agenda (Proposal)
(< 2 hrs.)
1. Brief situation update (10-15 mins.)
Please bring along any information you’d like to share with others: news reports, blogs, personal communications and anecdotes, news from family or friends in Pakistan, and so forth.
2. Fundraising: “Solidarity” or “Charity”? Why does it matter? (20 mins.)
Before we undertake any fundraising we would like to clarify for ourselves the mission, purpose, and beneficiaries of our efforts. This would also be a good time for us to discuss what we want to achieve as a group. So please come to the meeting with your ideas and suggestions.
3. Planning ahead (60 mins.)
The bulk of our meeting will be devoted to: Events, Outreach, Publicity, Education, Statement/Handouts/Press Releases, etc. Please offer your ideas and proposals!
4. Internal networking (10 mins.)
Next meeting: time, place? Listserve?
We hope you can make it! Please help spread the word among your coworkers, friends, family, students, and online social networks.
For more information please contact
- Tahir Butt, ISO Brooklyn
- Blair Ellis, Brooklyn activist
- Mohamad Junaid, CUNY Grad student, blogger, and activist
- Nagesh Rao, ISO Central Jersey
- Preeti Sampath, CUNY Grad student, Kashmir-rights activist
- Saadia Toor, Staten Island College faculty, blogger, and activist
- Social inequality worsens the impact of the floods in Pakistan (From New Red Indian)
- Pakistan must refuse debt repayments, divert amount for relief & rehabilitation of flood-hit communities (Labor Party Pakistan)
- US warns of Pakistan aid threat (BBC)