Okay, yes, this is someone I know rather well, but that’s not why I’m recommending this video. You simply have to watch it and listen to the talk all the way through if you really want to understand why it is that Muslims and Islam are being victimized, vilified, and slandered, not just in the U.S., but around the world.
I’ve spoken with friends and family in Delhi and Bangalore recently, and all of them speak to me worriedly about how difficult it has become to defend Muslims and their rights. The term “Muslim appeasement” seems to have entered into people’s vocabulary, and a friend of mine recently asked for some theoretical and historical “ammo” to arm himself with so he might more successfully take on the rampant Islamophobia that’s been building in India for years now.
So, check out Professor Deepa Kumar outline the history and politics of Islamophobia:
- Deepa Kumar: Islam and Islamophobia (isreview.org)
- Islamophobia on the Rise? (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- European Islamophobia Finds A Home In The US (npr.org)
- Phyllis Bennis: Is Mosque Hysteria Being Ginned Up to Bolster Support for the Disastrous Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Sharon Smith: Women and Islam (isreview.org)
- John L. Esposito: Islamophobia: A Threat to American Values? (huffingtonpost.com)